this has changed.
and for the past two christmases and a few lucky mornings before school and work i have made this dish.
chinese breakfast is inspired by the prawn scrambled eggs on the menu at yuet lee on the corner of broadway and stockton in san francisco, and the culinary cross-pollination that i have cooking with my jewish-chinese-donutman-boyfriend josh.
this would be perfect on new years day.
1/2 a yellow onion, cut into very fine dice
about 1/2 # raw, shelled prawns
splash water, about a tablespoon
big pinch salt
1/4 bunch cilantro
sri racha, aka rooster sauce or cock sauce
1. slice the jalapeno straight across into fine circles and add just enough soy sauce to cover.
2. using a wok or a cast iron skillet gently cook the onion in a generous amount of oil and some salt over medium heat until soft and just starting to brown.
3. combine eggs, water and salt in a bowl and beat hard with a fork for a full minute.
4. add the prawns and cook, turning once or twice until almost done, but not quite uniformly pink.
5. pour eggs into the pan and stir and turn until set.
6. garnish with chopped cilantro, sri racha and spicy soy sauce.