Monday, April 29, 2013
on this thread i have sometimes been making fried rice in the morning with seasonal vegetables like asparagus and spring onions along with chilis, ginger, garlic, tamari and sometimes toasted sesame oil.
this afternoon i was inspired and decided to use the same method to achieve a very different and delicious result. this was all made with food i had on hand at home.
italian style fried rice
part of a cauliflower
half a bulb of fennel
3 green onions
a few sprigs of basil
a few gratings of parmesan
1. in a medium sized pan saute sliced vegetables, onions and basil with olive oil and salt until golden.
2. add about half a cup of cold rice, breaking up a little bit on top of the vegetables. heat for a few minutes and stir together.
3. in a medium sized bowl combine the egg with parmesan, a tiny splash of cold water and a big pinch of sea salt and whisk with a fork for one minute.
4. lower heat to medium low and pour egg mixture over the rice and vegetable mixture. allow to cook briefly and fold over using a spatula a few times until the egg is set.
5. garnish with chopped fennel frond.