i have to admit that i always get a little bit bummed out when i come across those articles where they ask chefs about the dive-y places they like to eat on their night off.
chefs eat chinese food on their night off. i think people know that by now.
but i realized the real reason is that i'm bummed is because nobody has asked me to be interviewed for any of those articles!
while i don't work nights anymore i do like to go out for lunch on my day off especially to new places.
but this isn't about new places.
this is about my tried and true most favorite spirit foods that i order at my go-to places, sometimes at night but usually during the day.
in no particular order of preference these are the cheap(er) eats that i can't get enough of, and so, order and eat them regularly.
1. curried chicken salad-style at elmwood cafe
2. top dog. usually i order bockwurst but sometimes i get a top and a bock and occasionally a smoked chicken apple
3. vics indian. the lamb wrap on weekends and/or rice and lentil dumplings with yogurt, tamarind sauce and cilantro chutney
4. wally's behind the bank club in emeryville: chicken shawarma sando with garlic sauce
5. gordo tacqueria. regular chili verde burrito with black beans and extra hot sauce and sometimes sour cream
6. sweet adeline bakery for pie slices and gougeres
7. the reuben at stag's lunchette
8. cheesy trueburger
9. arinell slice plain cheese or with olives
if you wanted to take me out to dinner i really only want to go to: miss ollies, mission chinese or bull valley roadhouse. especially if you are picking up the check.