i'm working on my next recipe book called recipes for spring. i decided to start with soup.
2 bundles asparagus, 1’ chunks, tough bottoms reserved
1 leek, white and light green into quarter moons, tough dark bottom part 1 “ chunks
1 onion, cut in half
1 ½ tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. white pepper
3 black peppercorns
8 c. water
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 strips orange peel
1 bay leaf
3 small waxy potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
juice of 1 orange
1. in a small stockpot combine asparagus and leek trim, ½ yellow onion, water, ½ tsp. sea salt, ½ tsp. white pepper and black peppercorns. Bring to a simmer and cook 15 to 20 minutes.
2. in another small stockpot combine olive oil, leek, ½ yellow onion, orange peel, bay leaf and 1 tsp. sea salt. Cook medium until tender.
3. add potatoes to onion mixture and strain stock directly into 2nd pot. Cook until potatoes are tender.
4. add asparagus and cook until just done, about 2 minutes.
5. remove orange peel and bay leaf and puree in a blender in batches with orange juice.
6. garnish with orange-mint gremolata.
zest of one orange
several branches of mint, leaves removed and cut into a fine ribbon cut (about 1/4 c.)
1 clove of garlic, grated
2 to 3 tbsp. olive oil
big pinch sea salt